Wednesday, January 30, 2013

An "Old" Vortex: Bishop Sample and Vatican II

I’m still celebrating the fact that Bishop Alexander Sample has been appointed the next Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Portland, Oregon! I believe – I pray! – that this will usher in a new era of liturgical and catechetical renewal in the Pacific Northwest.

A correspondent brought to my attention a Vortex episode – embedded below – from December 2011. I remember it very well: in it, Michael Voris applauds Archbishop-elect Alexander Sample for comments the bishop made about Vatican II and the deplorable catechesis that occurred in its wake. The interview Voris quotes from can be found here.

I remember thinking at the time that this Bishop Sample seemed to be the kind of leader our Church needs – he seems to have a clear view of what’s happened to the Church over the last 50 years, and he doesn’t seem to pull punches. 

For example, Voris quotes Bishop Sample, who said in an interview that he is a member of “the first lost generation to poor catechesis, which raised up another generation that is equally uncatechized.” He adds, “My generation raised up the next generation. Since we weren’t taught the faith, we raised children who weren’t either.”

In the referenced interview, Bishop Sample also acknowledged that “the liturgy suffered from experimentation as well”. He knows!

Here’s the Vortex:



1 comment:

  1. Dr Jay:
    I first thought of you when I heard the news of Bishop Sample's appointment. Joyous!

    ReplyDelete

Please be courteous and concise.